Carinsurance only collects, uses and discloses Personal Information for insurance purposes, which include the following purposes:
- Establishing and maintaining communications with you;
- Verifying your identity and the accuracy of your Personal Information with government agencies, industry associations, brokers or insurers;
- Analyzing and assessing risks on a prudent basis;
- Determining and facilitating your payment of fees and premiums;
- Investigating and paying claims;
- Detecting and preventing fraud or other illegal activities;
- Compiling statistics;
- Complying with the law or the requests of law enforcement agencies or regulators;
- Offering and providing insurance and financial products and services to you;
- Notifying you or allowing our affiliated companies to notify you of certain products or services offered by us, or our affiliated companies.
Your knowledge and consent of Carinsurance collection, use and disclosure of your Personal Information is critical. We rely on the following actions by you as indications of your consent to our existing and future Personal Information practices:
- Your voluntary provision of Personal Information directly to Carinsurance or through an insurance broker or representative for the purpose of acquiring an insurance quotation, an insurance policy or financial service or product (including information previously provided to Carinsurance),
- Your expressed consent or acknowledgement contained within a written, verbal or electronic application process,
- Your consent solicited by Carinsurance (or our agent) for a specified purpose,
- Your consent given through your authorized representative such as a legal guardian, agent or holder of a power of attorney.
Subject to certain legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice, you may withdraw this consent at any time. Carinsurance will inform you of the consequences of withdrawing your consent. In some cases, refusing to provide certain Personal Information or withdrawing consent for Carinsurance to collect, use or disclose your Personal Information could mean that we cannot provide you with insurance coverage or other requested products, services or information. If you wish to withdraw your consent to be notified of marketing initiatives, please call us at 1-888-967-3700.
Carinsurance will maintain your Personal Information as accurate, complete, and up-to-date as is necessary for the Identified Purposes. We do rely on our customers to keep us up to date of change in their Personal Information, including, for example, address changes.
Carinsurance will protect your Personal Information by security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information. Safeguards will vary depending on the sensitivity, format, location, and storage of the Personal Information.
Accountability, Openness & Customer Access
Carinsurance has designated a Privacy Officer.
Limiting Collection and Retention of Personal Information
Carinsurance will only collect, use, or disclose Personal Information that is necessary for the Identified Purposes or as required by law. If we require Personal Information for any other purpose, you will be notified of the new purpose, and subject to your consent, that new purpose will become an Identified Purpose. Carinsurance will only collect Personal Information by fair and lawful means. We will retain Personal Information only as long as is necessary for the fulfillment of the Identified Purposes.
If you are not satisfied with Carinsurance response to a privacy related inquiry or complaint, you may contact the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada during business hours at 1-800-282-1376 or at www.privcom.gc.ca.
*In this Policy, "customer", "you" or "your" includes any individual who has requested, applied for or been supplied with a quotation, products or services by Carinsurance including any other individual for whom the customer has acted as agent, guardian or representative.